Sunday, February 10, 2013

Van-ity

The fact that someone has personalised licence plates on their car tells you something about what kind of person they are.  The contents of the plate tell you more.

Perhaps the silliest I've seen in Hong Kong is one I saw recently which just said VAN.  I can only think of three possible reasons for choosing this:
  • The owner's name is Van.  However, the only person I've ever heard of with this name is Van Morrison.  "Van the Man" doesn't live in Hong Kong (though I wish he'd give a concert here), and isn't the type to draw attention to himself anyway.
  • Post-modern irony - so subtle that others won't grasp it.
  • The owner is so forgetful he may not remember what type of vehicle he's driving.
Whatever the explanation, I wish "Kung Hei Fat Choi" to all my readers.  Have a Van-tastic Year of the Snake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought that if I were to personalise my number plate, I'd have, in abbreviated form, what was allegedly Humphrey Bogart's only line in his first speaking part on stage, namely, NE1 4 10 S ("Anyone for tennis?" in case you weren't paying attention), or, if I thought that the Licensing Department wouldn't get it, NE1 4 6.