Monday, June 11, 2007

Start Your Day the Hong Kong Way

One of those mornings:

In a mean mood today, I was entering the lift at 1 minute to 9 with 4 or 5 other people when I spotted the building's shuttle bus arriving. Knowing this would mean a flood of people coming, I hastily pressed the Doors Close button to get us up, up and away before they reached the lift. Pressed several times, but nothing happened.

Then I observed that the jerk on the other side of the lift was frantically pressing the Doors Open button to keep us all waiting while his dear colleagues got off the bus and joined us. Very un-Hong Kong of him.

When I finally reached my office and checked my email, I found a junk mail beginning "Dear Sir/mad". How did they know?

1 comment:

962 said...

I have found that a sharp kick to the genetaliar often cures the propensitry for me not to have to wait for the colleagues of others.
However the said person in your e mail is likely to be the first person pressing the button after he has got in with you following him.
While in the UK last year with two Chinese colleagues they becanme almost inconsolable because there was no door close button, poor little loves.